Join Our Team
Principal Systems Designer
Reporting to the Lead Designer, the Principal Systems Designer is responsible for executing, and iterating upon core game mechanics and non-combat systems in a highly collaborative environment. In this role, you will work closely with the Lead Designer, Combat Designers and Level Designers to create game systems that engage the Player and make them feel immersed and rewarded in a vibrant RPG world. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in gameplay progression, balance, economy, non-combat systems and gameplay loops. They will also have a firm grasp of the importance of these systems interacting with one another, as well as how each of them is presented to the Player.
- Design, document, and iterate upon core game systems and gameplay loops
- Design, maintain, and balance Player progression
- Design, implement, and maintain in-game economy, itemization, and loot distribution
- Non-combat Mini-Game design (lock-picking, hacking, etc)
- Thoroughly document systems and provide tangible data to support proposed progression, economy, and loot distribution models
- Work closely with Engineers to create the back-end systems and tools necessary to drive these Player-facing systems and their implementation
- Own the Player's progression and experience; participate in frequent playtests and adapt to feedback throughout development
- Collaborate and communicate with Engineers, Combat Designers, Level Designers, and Artists
- At least 1 shipped title in a Senior-to-Lead Systems Design Role
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of game progression, economy, and itemization
- Familiarity with RPG game mechanics
- Analytical thinking that can break down high-concept design goals into smaller, tangible systems and interactions
- Strong grasp of math and game balance
- Strong, independent problem-solving and time-management skills
- Strong technical writing and documentation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and adapt to feedback, design, and scope changes throughout development
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Experience with scripting languages (C++, C#, Lua, etc)
- Knowledge of current industry trends with regards to gameplay systems and loops
- The ability to explain complex topics to non-technical teammates
- Strong grasp on how to make complex game systems readable and understandable to the Player, design, and scope changes throughout development.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience with scripting or visual scripting languages (Blueprints, C#, Lua, etc).